Wargo French Singer attorneys have extensive experience prosecuting and defending defamation, libel and slander claims in federal and state courts across the United States, along with related issues such as the litigation of First Amendment defenses and anti-SLAPP (Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation) motions. Ms. Evans is a prominent member of the defamation bar. As such, she is well-connected within the community and retaining Ms. Evans will be seen as a signal that the client has given serious and studious consideration to defending the claim in court. While much of Ms. Evans’ experience is on the plaintiff’s side, she and other Wargo French Singer attorneys have substantial experience defending litigants, including corporations, against such claims. The Firm is able to bring this dual-sided perspective to craft the best approach in any given case.
Wargo French Singer’s relevant experience includes the following successful representations:
- Represented publicly-traded medical device manufacturer in multiple jurisdictions, including Florida, New York, and the District of Columbia, in defamation litigation against individuals and entities suspected of disseminating false and misleading information about the company to negatively impact its stock price. Defended client against defamation countersuit related to public statements made by client’s executives to combat such false and misleading information, including allegations that client’s statements caused a complete and total business loss. Cases resolved favorably or are still pending.
- Represented family-owned title and escrow company in defamation litigation arising from public remarks made by attorney for former customers, falsely accusing escrow company of fraud and theft of customers’ escrow deposit. Matter currently on appeal to the highest court in the District of Columbia on novel issues including the applicability and scope of the District’s anti-SLAPP statute.
- Represented Perri “Pebbles” Reid in defamation litigation arising from the VH-1 movie “Crazy, Sexy, Cool: The TLC Story.”
- Represented Beth Holloway in litigation against the National Enquirer arising from media coverage of the disappearance of her daughter, Natalee Holloway.
- Represented a large U.S. homebuilder in claims involving misuse of the company’s intellectual property and for commercial defamation.
- Represented the former directors and officers of a failed marketing company in litigation involving claims of defamation and defamation per se.
- Ongoing representation of fitness business in defamation litigation commenced by a former employee.
- Represented major, large-market television station regarding all day-to-day operations, including: open records, open-meetings and public access; copyright and defamation issues including clearance of scripts for on-air personalities; as litigation counsel.
- Represented major media companies in pre-litigation defamation and copyright disputes, including USA Today and Gannett.
- Represented state representative in litigation arising from political advertisements.
- Represented numerous radio stations in clearing news stories and other content to avoid potential defamation claims.