Wargo French is well positioned to assist companies operating in the engineering and construction industry with their legal needs. From contract preparation and review to complex litigation, the attorneys at Wargo French have decades of experience helping owners, architects, engineers and contractors achieve their desired legal results.
Indeed, the Wargo French Construction Team supports construction clients from project inception through project completion and beyond. Wargo French is prepared to help with project planning, licensing, financing, contract preparation and analysis, project management advisement, dispute negotiation and resolution, mediation, arbitration, and litigation through trial and appeals. The firm’s capabilities also include representation during the government contracting process, specifically contesting and defending government contract awards.
The attorneys at Wargo French have represented owners (including public owners, private owners, and PPP’s), developers, architects, engineers, general contractors, subcontractors, material suppliers, and sureties. The following list is a summary of several representative matters handled by Wargo French attorneys:
- Represented large engineering/program management firm in a $150 million dispute involving a $1 billion school construction program in the metropolitan Atlanta area.
- Represented an affiliate of a national pension fund/owner in a series of disputes concerning a $250 million cost overrun relating to the development, design and construction of a four-star resort hotel and convention center in south Florida.
- Represented the majority owner of a 249 MW thermal complex (coal and fuel oil plants) in Bahia Las Minas, Colon, Panama, regarding design and construction defect and delay claims against an EPC contractor.
- Represented a U.S. affiliate of a Swedish engineering firm in an eleven-week arbitration hearing concerning claims relating to the design and construction of a low-level radioactive waste processing facility in Tennessee.
- Represented a public District/owner in a $40 million dispute concerning delay claims arising from the design and construction of a seventeen mile bridge across the Chesapeake Bay.
- Represented the public owner of a pumped-storage hydroelectric facility in an international arbitration proceeding before the Thai Arbitration Institute.
- Represented a Swedish engineering firm in a dispute relating to the design and construction of an anaerobic wastewater treatment plant in Alaska.
- Represented the public owner in a dispute involving claims arising from the design and construction of an airport terminal expansion project in Florida.
- Represented subcontractor in a lawsuit against a project owner regarding the general contractor’s failure to pay subcontractor and failure to obtain a valid payment bond.
- Represented successful bidder in defense of a multibillion-dollar government contract award.
- Advised a nonresident contractor regarding licensing and registration requirements for performing construction work on a multimillion-dollar project in Georgia.
- Advised refrigeration contractor regarding licensing requirements for conditioned air and general contractor licensing requirements.
- Advised an international subcontracting company in a matter regarding utility contractor licensing and compliance with Georgia’s Nonresident Contractor’s Act.
- Defended a high-end general contracting firm against summary judgment claim in complex construction litigation case by lender’s successor-in-interest seeking to foreclose construction liens and defense of contractor in separate action involving enforcement of statutory construction liens (Florida).
- Defended subcontractor in federal court action by lender-developer seeking indemnification for liability on construction and design defect claims including breach of implied warranties and building code violations (Florida).
- Represented general contractor and its qualifying agent in arbitration proceeding involving claims by owners against contractor and its qualifying agent, individually, for misappropriation of construction funds, and for claims against qualifying agent, individually, for fraudulent lien and breach of contract (Florida).
- Handled aspects of representation of developer in bid protest litigation alleging claims for failure to comply with Federal, State, and local competitive bidding statutes or procurement laws (Florida).
- Defended tenant against mechanics’ liens claims totaling almost $3 million for commercial properties located in California, Florida and Illinois, with favorable results.
- Prosecuted breach of contract and fraud claims on behalf of international clothing and accessories retailer tenant against general contractor for failure to pay subcontractors on commercial properties.